The Charge Nurse, under the direct and indirect supervision of the Nurse Manager or administrative supervisor, facilitates and assists with all levels of Nursing care provided to patients within a Nursing unit or practice location. The Charge Nurse will assist Clinical Nurses with day to day problem solving and will facilitate communication between care team providers. He/She coordinates, elevates and resolves problems and conflicts as they occur. The Charge Nurse assumes shift accountability for patient flow, matching patient needs with available resources, and elevates patient safety concerns/situations as well as any other situation that is unable to be resolved during the shift. The Charge Nurse leadership role is critical to improving the quality of care provided on the individual Nursing unit/practice setting. In addition to these responsibilities, when needed the Charge Nurse may assume all or partial staff nurse responsibilities. The Charge Nurse is the first level of administration assigned to the unit in the absence of the Nurse Manager. The Charge Nurse participates in Peer Interviewing and Peer Evaluation. The Charge Nurse is included in worked hours per patient day (WHPPD) and is assigned by self to direct patient care assignment as unit need indicates. The Charge Nurse assists in the advancement of the professional practice environment by communicating the NGHS Nursing strategic direction and focusing on activities that support the Nursing strategic direction. Provides Nursing involvement support for VOICE and the NDNQI quality teams including supporting team members in their professional participation. Assists with overall clinical governance and other projects as assigned.
Job Specific & Unique Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
- Meets all certifications requirements defined by unit (BLS, ACLS, PALS)
- Demonstrates strong clinical expertise and judgement
- Strong computer skills (defined by unit)
- Strong leadership/management skills and abilities
- Demonstrates critical thinking skills
Essential Tasks & Responsibilities
- Functions as part of the leadership team directly accountable to the Nurse Manager.
- Accepts responsibility for achieving objectives through individual work activities and the outputs of the care team.
- Provides guidance to staff members, assesses staff performance, and provides feedback to the Nurse Manager or Nursing Supervisor. Has responsibility of timely evaluation and completion of assigned formal employee evaluations.
- Oversees completion of unit specific administrative tasks (PI audits, code charts, bed meetings)
- Accesses and follows policies
- Serves as a role model to other employees and consistently demonstrates skills and characteristics the organization values
- Plans for changes in staffing or an influx of admissions or discharges.
- Delegates work and make staffing assignments appropriate and fairly.
- Handles stress and manages crisis situations efficiently and effectively. When crisis occurs, assesses the strengths and weaknesses of the care team and demonstrates the ability to make or adjust assignments.
- Analyzes errors, takes accountability, and finds ways to help the staff improve performance through process improvement initiatives.
- Uses effective time management skills
- Maintains accessibility and visibility on the unit-rounding with staff, managers, or physicians if necessary.
Graduate of an accredited school of nursing.
Associate Nursing degree.
Licensed to practice as an RN in Georgia.
Professional organization membership within 3 months of hire into the role
One-year experience in a direct patient care role in an acute care environment and in the specialty.
Nursing Degree (either BSN or MSN) strongly encouraged within 5 years
Three years of direct patient care experience in an acute care environment and within the specialty.
More Awards and Accolades.
Ranked in the Top 10% in the nation by CareChex® for Stroke Care, Cancer Care, Pneumonia Care and Surgical Care, the System is the recipient of numerous accolades including:
- Georgia's #1 Surgery Hospital by CareChex®
- Georgia's #1 Heart Hospital by CareChex® - 12 years in a row
- Georgia's #1 Women's Hospital by CareChex®
- Georgia's #1 Pulmonary Hospital
- One of Metro Atlanta's Top Workplaces for the 7th year in a row