To act as a liaison between Stormont Vail Health (SVH) and area Emergency Medical Services (EMS) providers. Serve as an advocate of the hospital with local, regional, and state EMS agencies. Assist with hospital disaster preparedness and coordinate with the appropriate pre-hospital personnel on all mass casualty drills or exercises. Coordinate and participate in outreach education offerings in collaboration with Trauma Injury Prevention Coordinator. Outreach education will be focused on providing education to individuals, prehospital providers, and institutions on how to improve trauma care. The main focus of this education should be comprised of triage, treatment, and inter-hospital transfers of the injured patient. In addition, this position is responsible for ensuring collaboration across all care settings within in the facility as it relates to EMS and disaster preparedness. Clinical experience is required.
- Establish overall EMS outreach including:
- Act as a liaison and maintain a strong, positive relationship between Stormont Vail Health and area EMS providers/referring facilities
- Serve as an advocate for SVH with local, regional, and state EMS agencies
- Facilitate EMS performance improvement and quality review by working with local EMS agencies and medical directors
- Support hospital physicians serving as medical directors
- In cooperation with Trauma Services and Emergency Department leadership, establish and maintain a process to quickly and safely receive patients from EMS agencies, allowing a short turn-around time for EMS crews
- Promote special care capabilities of the hospital to local EMS providers
- Conduct training courses for EMS providers as appropriate
- Ensure hospital compliance with CMS, OSHA, ACS, JCAHO and other regulatory organizations concerning EMS agencies, students, equipment, and supplies
- Provide reports and statistics to hospital leadership concerning EMS issues
- Audit EMS patient care reports as needed to evaluate prehospital care
- Provide follow up reports to EMS agencies
- Point of contact for small moments or complaints from both SVH staff and EMS providers
- Attend TPIC, Trauma Committee, and Trauma Response Team meetings as necessary
- Medical Education including internal education for providers and hospital staff
- Outreach education for prehospital care providers, physicians, and nurses
- Assist in coordination of any Stormont Vail Health involvement in outreach educational activities such as ATLS, PHTLS, TNCC, and RTTDC
- Manage EMS relationship development in coordination with ED and Trauma leadership including:
- Facilitate planning process and implementation of activities with hospital leadership
- Develop and grow hospital/EMS collaboration projects
- Ensure service line quality and align SVH and national quality standards and best practices
- Participate in disaster preparedness and service line specific educational offerings
- Disaster preparedness – Assist with disaster management planning, training, and equipment purchase
- Act as liaison between SVH and public safety agencies
- Attending Emergency Management Committee meetings
- Organize, attend, and participate in external and internal educational offerings – Stop the Bleed, RTTDC, TCD education, TNCC, etc in collaboration with Outreach Education Coordinator
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Graduate of an accredited RN program.
- 5 years of clinical EMS experience required.
- Certification in TNCC, PALS, and ACLS. Instructor status preferred.
- ATLS audit preferred or within 6 months of hire.
- Knowledge/understanding of EMS standards related to the pre-hospital care of the acutely ill or injured patient.
- Knowledge/understanding of the most current ACS standards related to “Resources for Optimal Care of the Injured Patient”.
- Demonstrated success in clinical practice and team building
- Direct experience with performance improvement, quality management and standards compliance
- Knowledge of the administrative, professional and clinical organization of Stormont-Vail Health.
- Meets educational preparation or other qualifications within specified time frames as determined/outlined by specific department policy. Bachelor’s degree required.
Certificates and Licenses:
- Current RN licensure in State of Kansas.