Under the general supervision of the Nurse Manager, provides professional nursing care at the beginner practitioner level within an assigned unit according to established procedures, protocols and regulations. Coordinates care planning with other disciplines. May require specialized skills depending on unit assignment.
- Provides and coordinates direct care in accordance with the principles of Relationship Based Care to patients based on the nursing process and according to the clinical standards of the hospital. Acts as a primary nurse for patients on the unit. Synthesizes patient data to develop outcome-driven plans.
- Safely and independently administers prescribed treatments, medications, and nursing interventions based on assessment and plan of care.
- Appropriately organizes and prioritizes time based on patient condition and expected workload. Identifies changes in patients’ status and acts accordingly. Knows and can activate resources to achieve outcomes for patients.
- Seeks mentoring and coaching from the CN I, II & III as needed.
- Identifies and communicates individualized patient needs for inter-shift report and transfer/discharge. Includes patient/family in planning. Collaborates with all disciplines in evaluation of patient progress.
- Appropriately and correctly documents the patient response to interventions and progress toward outcomes. Identifies and documents variances from pathway or plan of care. Appropriately utilizes flow sheets, progress notes, and/or electronic medical record for documentation. Validates compliance with system and unit-specific clinical initiatives, i.e. pain scores, restraints, fall precautions, etc.
- Keeps practice current by participating in performance improvement efforts. Complies with changes in clinical standards and policies. Participate in data collection for performance improvement activity. Recognizes the value of evidence based research as it applies to best practice.
- Seeks learning opportunities and resources beyond own work environment and incorporates into practice the new knowledge and skills acquired.
- Promotes an environment conducive to professional practice, interdisciplinary collaboration, and patient and staff safety. Supports Shared Decision Making by unit committee membership or by supporting and helping fellow co-workers attend committee meetings and/or work on SDM projects. Participates in staff meetings and unit activities. Uses opportunities in the clinical setting to teach and support others, one-on-one or in groups (e.g. Students, other hospital personnel).
- Begins to provide leadership for problem solving and goal formation. Negotiates for a win-win solution.
- Delegates aspects of care to other nursing personnel in order to meet patient needs and to maximize team performance. Helps assistive personnel organize and set priorities for work. Monitors completion of tasks that are assigned or delegated to the patient care team.
- Promotes collaboration and cooperation among physicians, nursing staff, and other members of the interdisciplinary team. Contributes to effective communications among all team members. Begins to display conflict resolution and negotiation skills to maximize team performance.
- Attends meetings as required, and participates on committees as requested.
- Performs other related duties as identified.
- Demonstrates knowledge of the principles of growth and development over the life span of the assigned patient population. Assesses and interprets patient age specific data and provides appropriate, age specific treatment. Provides direct patient care to assigned patient age group(s).
- Demonstrates a commitment to patient, visitor and staff by: complying with all applicable safety regulations; learning the impact of medical errors and methodology that will lead to reduction of errors; reporting actual and potential errors, as well as hazardous conditions; identifying opportunities to standardize processes and "error proof" systems that will lead to increased safety; and participating in safety education programs and root cause analyses as required.
- Maintains established policies and procedures, objectives, quality assessment, safety, environmental and infection control standards.
- Enhances professional growth and development through advanced/continuing education to maintain up-to-date knowledge, skills, and competencies.
- Provides outstanding service to all customers; fosters teamwork; and practices fiscal responsibility through improvement and innovation.
- Other combinations of formal education, training and experience may be considered.
- Minimum Experience:
- Minimum Education:
- Associate's Degree