The Trauma Data Specialist is responsible for the data, data collection and entry into the Trauma Registry. Maintain confidentiality of registry data. Provide registry data as appropriate for performance improvement, education and research.
- Identifies cases for inclusion into the trauma registry.
- Performs basic data collection and entry of demographics, and coding of clinical and follow-up data from all sources into trauma registry database. Interacts with physicians, nurses, and other members of the trauma team to perform registry functions. Will keep registry current within 60 days of patient discharge.
- Assigns and scores all injuries, procedures and complications utilizing AIS and ICD-10 coding systems.
- Initiates quality control review of database and resolves issues to assure consistency and accuracy of data collected.
- Ensures software updates are completed and functional.
- Assists in preparation of reports using data abstracted from electronic data bases.
- Downloads hospital Trauma Registry data to State Trauma Registry at the Iowa Department of Public Health as required and to NTDS/TQIP on a quarterly basis.
- Maintains patient confidentiality of sensitive hospital performance improvement information.
- Participates in data validation.
- Facilitates the completion of abstraction data by completing missing information from EMS providers.
- Participates in Trauma PI and educational conferences in order to maintain and expand Trauma Registry knowledge base.
- Participates in monthly TQIP education and takes TQIP monthly quiz.
- Participates in internal and community outreach education, trauma systems and trauma data.
- Licensed Iowa RN
- Previous experience in medical record abstracting and data entry preferred.
- Strong computer skills. Excel experience preferred.
- Medical terminology.
- Commitment to complete Trauma Registrar Course within one year of hire.
- Must be a team player and ability to be independently productive.