Collaborates with the Trauma Program Manager and Trauma Medical Director to improve the quality of trauma care encompassing all areas and disciplines of the hospital that participate in the management of the injured patient. Facilitates the trauma performance improvement program including data collection, analysis, and benchmarking of data and quality outcomes. Assists with the identification, validation, and documentation of trauma specific performance improvement variances, complications, and quality filters as required by the American College of Surgeons (ACS).
- In Trauma, models excellence in nursing practice through the utilization of advanced concepts in the areas of assessment, diagnosis, planning, implementation and evaluation of perceived, actual or potential problems.
- Assesses individual patient care and staff development needs through periodic rounds and communication with nursing staff and other health team members.
- Assists and provides direction to nursing staff with clinical decision making and priority setting.
- Assumes a leadership role and collaborates with colleagues in nursing leadership and other health team members in responding to clinical events/practice issues within the health system.
- Assures that standards of care are being practiced in accordance with regulatory agencies. Develops, reviews and recommends changes in departmental and organizational policies, and revises procedures in conjunction with new or changing theories, national standards and guidelines for care, and current technology to ensure quality nursing care.
- Identifies the need for improvement and collaborates with colleagues on the nursing leadership team to fully engage staff in initiatives designed to improve patient outcomes. Facilitates change processes.
- Mentors nurses to acquire new knowledge and skills and develop their careers.
- Develops and coordinates quality improvement initiatives based on assessments
- Implements innovative technologies and strategies to strengthen critical thinking and problem solving abilities of the learner.
- Provides skillful guidance and teaching to advance the care of patients, families, groups of patients, and the profession of nursing.
- Provides specialized expertise to members of the health care team to solve complex situations involving patients, staff or systems
- Integrates research into the clinical environment through the implementation of evidence based practice,
- Participates in new product evaluation; recommends and evaluates new products designed to improve patient outcomes.
- Reviews trauma patient charts including: daily identification of trauma patients, concurrent and retrospective chart review looking at quality measures and compliance with practice management guidelines.
- Assists registrar in trauma registry maintenance and data abstraction.
- Assists with injury prevention and outreach initiatives as directed by the Trauma Program Manager.
- Attends monthly multidisciplinary operational and peer review meetings for case reviews, as well as to identify and target areas of opportunity
- Initiates secondary reviews with Trauma Medical Director and tracks completion.
- REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE & SKILLS
- Demonstrates excellent customer service skills with the ability to communicate effectively both orally and in writing with community members, patients, families, hospital staff and management.
- Demonstrates knowledge of all phases of trauma care to include pre-hospital, resuscitation, stabilization, critical care, convalescent care, and rehabilitation and organ/tissue inquiry.
- Demonstrates effective time management and organization skills.
- Education: Graduate of accredited school of nursing required. BSN required. Master’s degree desired.
- Experience: Five (5) years of acute nursing experience in ICU/OR/ED setting, preferably at a Level 1 or 2 Trauma Center. Performance Improvement or other Trauma Program experience preferred.
- Certification/Licensure: Registered Nurse license issued by the State of New Hampshire. TNCC or ATCN certification required. ATCN instructor qualification preferred. Certified Emergency Nursing (CEN), Critical Care Nursing (CCRN), Certified Operating Room RN (CNOR) preferred.
- Software/Hardware: Strong competence in Microsoft Excel.