Functions as an integral member of the trauma team. Responsibilities include participating in daily patient rounds, collaborating with the Trauma PI Medical Director, the Director of Trauma Services, and other Trauma Nurse Clinicians to ensure that trauma patients receive coordinated quality care from the pre-hospital phase through rehabilitation. Will act as a role model for trauma care through educational and clinical activities, and coordinates the performance improvement activities for the trauma program to maintain the American College of Surgeons Level 1 Accreditation standard.
- Coordinates activities with the PI Medical Director and Trauma Services Director to facilitate overall Trauma Program quality and consistency.
- Manages the Trauma PI database in accordance with ACS and NCOEMS guidelines.
- Coordinates multidisciplinary monthly Trauma Outcomes and weekly Morbidity/Mortality meetings and ensures correspondence and communication to associated parties is current.
- Prepares annual PI report.
- Provides direct assistance to the physician during all phases of patient care rounding, including assessment, diagnosis, treatment and follow up, while simultaneously serving as a patient advocate.
- Responds to Trauma Activations during normal working hours to act as a resource person and liaison for the Emergency Department and pre-hospital care providers, including EMT's, paramedics and flight crews.
- Participates in the planning and presentation of continuing education programs in the community, outlying hospitals and EMS agencies on trauma topics.
- Participates in hospital education programs for nurses and resident physicians caring for trauma patients.
- Promotes and assist with research relevant to trauma care.
- Serves as a liaison to the clinical areas responsible for the care of the trauma patient.
- Collaborates with the PI Medical Director and Trauma Services Director to develop and maintain a set of quality indicators for the trauma program and to ensure that teammates in all departments dealing with the care of trauma patients are knowledgeable about the Trauma Program and standards of care.
Requires ability to move about the medical center and ability to attend local, regional and national meetings. Must have reliable transportation. Ability to perform effective public speaking required.
Education, Experience and Certifications
RN, BSN required. 3 to 5 years of experience in a Level 1 Trauma Center. Minimum of 1 year experience directly in a Trauma related care unit or Level 1 Emergency Department desired. Basic Life Support for Healthcare Provider (BLS HCP) from AHA. Strong computer skills including Word, Excel, Access, and Power Point required.