The Trauma Program Manager, in consultation and collaboration with the Trauma Director, evaluates, plans, organizes, coordinates and manages the implementation of the non-physician activities of the Trauma Program in accordance with the requirements of the Tennessee Department of Health Board for Licensing Health Care Facilities and the Hospital's strategic plan and mission statement. Responsible for the management of all components of the NGH Trauma Registry and presentation of data both internally and externally. Must be comfortable with both interpreting the clinical care provided to trauma patients and be comfortable with advanced computing and database administration.
- Ensures compliance with the TN state trauma rules and ACS Level III trauma center guidelines.
- Actively participates in the development of the trauma care program.
- Primarily responsible for all activities directed toward achieving and maintaining Level III Trauma Center status.
- Assures compliance with the American College of Surgeon’s Resources for Optimal Care of the Injured Patient.
- Serves as the primary liaison for staff and physicians in trauma care and performance improvement.
- Consistently supports the complex network of multiple disciplines that work in concert to provide high-quality care serving as an internal resource for staff in all departments.
- Promotes fiscal responsibility in the management of the Level III Trauma Program including the Trauma Budget.
Education, Outreach and Community Relations
- Leads the professional education efforts of the trauma program to provide trauma education to nurses, physicians, and others in trauma care independently and in conjunction with the Trauma Medical Director.
- Provides direction for strategic planning and implementation of trauma outreach education programs within the NGH community.
- Designs and implements the Trauma Performance Improvement. Identifies appropriate benchmarks and program goals.
- Ensures all trauma policies, procedures, and guidelines are reviewed and revised at a minimum of every two years.
- Provides oversight for trauma care management across the continuum, including planning and implementation of clinical protocols/practice management guidelines, monitoring care of in-hospital patients, and serving as a resource for clinical practice.
- Oversees the NGH Trauma Registry for data validity and reliability.
- Identifies all NGH trauma cases, admissions, transfers, and deaths, using clinical identifiers and strict inclusion/exclusion criteria defined by the American College of Surgeons, State of Tennessee criteria, and Trauma Service inclusion criteria.
- Retrieves trauma data through from trauma data sources, including other hospital and system-wide databases and patient logs.
- Direct abstraction of clinical information based on guidelines from the American College of Surgeons (ACS), including the identification of all injuries, procedures, complications, and outcomes.
- Bachelors in healthcare is required.
Certifications and Licensure:
- Current TN or Compact Registered Nurse License, BLS, ACLS, and PALS are all required.
- 1 year of Trauma Program Manager Experience is required. A minimum of 2 years Emergency/Critical Care experience is also required.
- 2 years of supervisory or managerial experience as an assistant trauma manager or trauma program manager.
Additional experience requirements
- Experience working with a trauma system preferred but not required
- Knowledge of clinical skills required in all phases of trauma care
- Demonstrates excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Demonstrates dependability, creativity, initiative and follow- through.
- Effective verbal and written communication skills.
- Demonstrated ability to respond appropriately to unusual situations in a professional manner. Demonstrates strong interpersonal skills.
- Demonstrates ability to work in a team and independently.
- Demonstrates ability to facilitate meetings.
- Advanced Computer Skills: Proficiency in Microsoft Word and Excel required.