Under indirect supervision the incumbent assumes the responsibility for collecting, reviewing and entering data on appropriately defined trauma patients into the registry system, in accordance with the requirement of the American College of Surgeons Committee on Trauma. In addition, the incumbent performs various administrative duties as assigned by the Trauma Program Manager. The position reports to the Trauma Program Manager.
May be asked to provide support sister facilities
- One (1) year previous experience in a comparable position of responsibility required.
- Successful completion of AAAM (Association of the advancement of automotive medicine) and the ATS (American Trauma Society) trauma registry course within twelve (12) months of hire
- Certified Specialist in Trauma Registry (CSTAR) or obtained within five (5) years of taking position as available
- Certified as an abbreviated injury scaling specialist (CAISS) within two (2) years
- Completion of an accredited course in advanced medical terminology or medical records terminology, nursing or a related medical field or an equivalent combination of education and experience from which comparable knowledge and abilities may be acquired
- AA degree in a related field required (experience may be accepted in lieu of education)
- Strong typing, communication, organization, spelling and grammar skills and advanced medical terminology knowledge required
- Experience in a healthcare environment and previous experience as a trauma registrar or other registries and/or inpatient coding experience preferred
- Bachelors degree in a related field preferred
- ICD 10 coding, Certified as an Abbreviated injury scaling specialist (CAISS), Certified Professional Coder or Registered Health Information Technician preferred
- Knowledge of computerized data bases, word processing and spread sheet programs preferred