This position is responsible for managing Trauma Registry activities and facilitating continuous quality assessment and improvement in the delivery of trauma care by data collection, data management, data analysis, and reporting of trauma program activities and results.
- Abstract patient data identified in the Trauma Registry and generate monthly, quarterly and semi-annual reports to state, regulatory and other trauma agencies for the purpose of planning, management, and quality assurance.
- If applicable, may maintain: Trauma Committee records, minutes, agenda and other appropriate documentation; Trauma Program policies, procedures and forms.
- Participate in the preparation and maintenance of hospital Trauma Center designation.
- Supports concurrent review and data entry as well as ensures data submission to the State and other applicable agencies (i.e. National Trauma Data Bank, Trauma Quality Improvement Program, etc.) in the required timeframe.
- May coordinate Injury Prevention database.
- If applicable: facilitate and provide oversight of Trauma Registry updates as required by state DOH; participate and maintain currency of Trauma Registry Data Dictionary; participate in data validation process to ensure data accuracy.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- High school diploma or equivalent preferred.
- Medical terminology.
- Minimum of three years’ experience in healthcare (trauma) industry which includes a detailed knowledge of medical terminology, and medical records.
- Formal training in ICD-10 coding preferred.
- Minimum of one year directly related work experience abstracting and coding information using ICD-10 CM inpatient coding experience preferred.
- Successful completion of anatomy course preferred.
- Certified Trauma registrar preferred
- Abbreviated Injury Scale (AIS) coding preferred
- CCA (Certified Coding Specialist) preferred.
- Proficient computer/keyboarding skills, including MS Office applications with emphasis on Excel.
- Excellent customer service, communication and public relations skills.
- Strong organizational skills.
- Excellent time management skills.
- Ability to work in environment with predetermined productivity standards after orientation and training.