The Trauma Registrar is responsible for overall maintenance and daily operations of the Trauma and Acute Care Surgery Registry. Specific activities include identification of all patients meeting trauma and acute care surgery registry inclusion criteria, review of registry patient medical records, complete abstraction of data from all phases of care, and identification of selected complications and quality indicators; timely, accurate, and complete data entry into the registry database, and generation of reports, patient care summaries, and statistics to support performance improvement committees and activities and Trauma and Acute Care Surgery Program operations within timeframes established by Department policy.
*This position is onsite at Sutter Roseville Hospital.
High school graduate or equivalent.
College course work in business, computer technology, statistics, database management, or related fields is preferred.
Experience with medical records and data abstraction required. Experience with electronic medical records preferred.
Experience with a trauma registry preferred.
Medical transcription experience preferred.
- Demonstrated proficiency in Microsoft Word, Excel, and PowerPoint.
- Knowledge of medical terminology, anatomy, and physiology sufficient to evaluate, abstract, and code specific diagnosis and treatment information from the patient’s medical record required.
- Knowledge of ICD-9 and ICD 10 CM and PCS coding required.
- Knowledge of AIS-05 injury scoring preferred.
- Complete CSTR certification within 2 years of hire.
- Ability to accurately identify and abstract medical data.
- Demonstrated ability to work accurately under pressure while juggling multiple priorities and deadlines, demonstrating strong attention to detail, and exercising good judgment with minimal supervision.
- Strong typing and computer skills, including data entry/retrieval techniques and word processing.
- Demonstrated computer and software troubleshooting skills, including spreadsheets and word processing.
- Ability to accurately read and interpret written and transcribed documents in the medical record, and ability to enter complete and accurate data into on-line computer system.
- Excellent written and verbal communication/interpersonal skills and the ability to deal with individuals of varying comprehension levels.
- Ability to transcribe and edit dictated patient care summaries.
- Please refer to Essential Job Functions and Physical Demands (located in Human Resources).