The Trauma Registrar, functioning in the spirit of teamwork, is accountable for maintaining the Trauma Registry data base for Mount Carmel Health System. The Trauma Registrar collects, abstracts and reports on data collected from trauma patient medical records. Functions within the standards, policies, procedures and guidelines of the organization.
- Identify and analyze the history, diagnosis, treatment, prognosis and survival data of trauma patients treated in the organization.
- Analyze trauma-related documentation/charting for compliance with applicable quality assurance standards, including those of the American College of Surgeons and The Joint Commission.
- Assist the Trauma Program staff with developing criteria for patient care evaluation, collecting data for protocol studies, and conducting audits.
- Comply with all reporting requests and requirements.
- Accurately code clinical information.
- Work collaboratively with HIM, Information Resources and the database vendor to optimize the trauma registry.
- Provide support for trauma services functions: phones, symposiums, presentations, education and outreach.
- Collect and enter performance improvement data and prepares performance improvement reports.
- Orient new staff as assigned.
- Orders supplies necessary to maintain the trauma office.
- Graduate of an accredited Health Information Management or related program
- Registered as a Health Information Technician (RHIT) by the American Health Information Management Association (AHIMA) within two years of hire.
- Previous trauma registry experience preferred, computer data entry experience required.
- Working knowledge of trauma data base systems and understanding of computer system interfaces preferred.
- Ability to perform accurate, detailed work.
- Professional behavior and a pleasant, business-like manner.
- Strong organizational skills.